Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Truth in the Tinsel

I found a really neat way to talk about the TRUE meaning of Christmas this year, and I just wanted to share a little bit about it!  It's called the "Truth in the Tinsel", and it's been really fun to read a small part of the Christmas story each night at dinner, and then handmake the different ornaments with Allyson and Ella Grace (when she sits still long enough, ha!).  We got started a couple of days late, and spent the weekend catching up.  I really wanted to be intentional this year with making sure that the kids really experience the true story of Christmas, the birth of Jesus, and all that lead up to his birth.  Even though it's geared towards younger children, the boys are listening and involved in the discussion each night.  They aren't into making the crafts, but they do come and look to see what we made each night.  It's not too late to get started if you want to participate, but I just wanted to share this fun, very inexpensive tool!  And, of course, I will add a couple of pictures from our first day!



By the end, we will have a tree that reflects the story of Jesus birth, and I can't wait to see it come together!  I will post pictures at the end to show you the final product!  Merry Christmas, and may we each take the time to remember what this season is really about!

2 comments:

  1. What a great idea. It's often challenging to capture the true spirit of Christmas when shopping and gifts abound.

    I have to admit, I found it amusing that your boys don't like the crafts. I head up our Wednesday night children's program at church and during rec/craft time all the boys ever want to do is play dodge ball. They hate crafts :) Just glad to know it's all boys everywhere!!! Merry Christmas to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too cool! Thanks for suggesting this book, it looks great!

    ReplyDelete